- おおきい ゆきだるまに きいてみよう。Let’s ask that big snowman.
- ゆきだるまの かぞくだ。たのしそう。It’s a snowman family. It looks like fun.
- ほっかいどうのふゆは とてもさむくて ゆきが たくさん ふるの。The winter in Hokkaidoo is very cold, and it snows a lot.
In alignment with the Senior Syllabus & the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- てみるtry doing (JLPT N4)
- てしまうsomething regrettably happens (N4)
- てあげ・くれるto do for; to do a favor (N4)
- ているongoing action or current state (N5)
- Vみたい seems/looks like that ….. (N3)
Cultural note from the author
Once a year in February, in Otaru City in Hokkaidoo, a winter event called “Yuki Akari no Mich” is celebrated. Approx. 500,000 people visit this event annually, and excitedly explore the path that is filled with an endless amount of candle lights and snow men, just like in this book. The fundamental idea of this event is to entice the visitors to enter a spiritual time of calmness and peace. Visitors are encouraged to connect with their surroundings, forgetting the troubles and pressures that are inevitable when living in a rapidly changing society. In addition to this, the neighboring city, Sapporo, excites visitors with their snow sculptures of iconic images such as Disney and Ghibli characters.
Linus Gregoravich –
Had no idea this was a thing, great book, makes me want to travel more