- おおきい ゆきだるまに きいてみよう。Let’s ask that big snowman.
- ゆきだるまの かぞくだ。たのしそう。It’s a snowman family. It looks like fun.
- ほっかいどうのふゆは とてもさむくて ゆきが たくさん ふるの。The winter in Hokkaidoo is very cold, and it snows a lot.
In alignment with the Senior Japanese Syllabus (SJS) & the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- てみるtry doing (JLPT N4)
- てしまうsomething regrettably happens (JLPT N4)
- てあげ・くれるto do for; to do a favor (SJS & JLPT N4)
- ているongoing action or current state (SJS & JLPT N5)
- Vみたい seems/looks like that ….. (JLPT N3)
Cultural note from the author
Once a year in February, in Otaru City in Hokkaidoo, a winter event called “Yuki Akari no Mich” is celebrated. Approx. 500,000 people visit this event annually and excitedly explore the path that is filled with an endless amount of candle lights and snowmen, just like in this book. The fundamental idea of this event is to entice the visitors to enter a spiritual time of calmness and peace. Visitors are encouraged to connect with their surroundings, forgetting the troubles and pressures that are inevitable when living in a rapidly changing society. In addition to this, the neighboring city, Sapporo, excites visitors with their snow sculptures of iconic images such as Disney and Ghibli characters.