- そこから 車で 一時間ぐらい 走った 山の中です。From there, it takes about one hour by car and is on top of a mountain.
- 村がさびしくなってしまったので、私は かかしを 作ってみました。The village had become lonely, so I attempted to make scarecrows
- なにを していると おもいますか。What do you think they are doing?
In alignment with the Senior Syllabus & the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- とき when, at this time (N5)
- という called, named (N4)
- てみる try doing (JLPT N4)
- てしまう something regrettably happens (N4)
- てくれる favours/giving and receiving (N4)
- とおもう I think ….., you think ….. (N4)
Cultural note from the author:
Deep in the mountains of Nagoro, there is a “scarecrow village.” Approximately 15 years ago, a Japanese lady made one scarecrow for a field, then decided to make more. As a result of her interest in making scarecrows, the village currently has more than 200 scarecrows! She says that there used to be lots of people living in this village. However, over the years, most of the young people in the village have moved away to bigger cities. Nowadays, there are approximately 30 residents. This book will take you to the village and let you meet some of the scarecrows who live there.